Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

What does code c2a1170 mean? just today, i would like to, no

Customer Question

what does code c2a1170 mean?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help with this.

On your Lennox furnace:

C2 means your unit is operating in High speed cooling.

A1170 means your furnace is putting out 1170 CFM of airflow.

These are both normal operating codes.

Let me know if you have further questions about this. Otherwise, please remember to rate before leaving.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then why is the unit not working
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No i do not want a call i would rather work through chat
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you help me?

Yes, I'll do my best to help. Sorry for the automated phone call thing. The site generates that. What is it specifically that's not working? I have to assume from the code, your indoor unit is working ok. Is the system not cooling? Is the outdoor unit running at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The system isn't cooling and the outdoor unit isn't running at all
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also when I turn the unit off from the thermostat the fan still runs.

Can you give me the model number of the outdoor unit please? That will help me, help you better.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hsxb15

very good, thanks for that. Let me see if I can find some info for that model. In the meantime you should check the breaker for the outdoor unit in your main panel and check the disconnect at the unit to be sure it's on. Some disconnects at the unit are fused so there could be an issue there too. It could also be that your cooling coil at the furnace has a drain overflow switch in it and the drain is clogged and that has interrupted the signal to the outdoor unit to stop a flood. Those are common issues.

While you check those things, I'll look up your unit info and see what else I can find.

Thanks,

Brian

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have checked the breaker and it is on. Can you walk me through the the disconnect and drain steps and how to do them?

If you open your disconnect outside and it has a breaker like switch in it, just make sure it is on. If it has a pull out type cartridge to disconnect the unit, pull out the cartridge and see if there are fuses on the backside of the cartridge. If there are fuses, check them for continuity with a continuity tester or simple replace them.

For your drain line switch, if your unit is equipped with one, you will have to go to your furnace or air handler inside (I assume furnace from the code but I could be wrong), there should be a pvc drain line connected to your indoor unit. If there is a drain line switch, it will be installed in a pvc tee outside of the unit but very close to the unit. The switch will have two wires attached to the top of it. You can pull the switch out of the tee to see if the line is clogged. If the ac starts when you pull the switch out, then you know the line is clogged.

I have the manual for you outdoor unit and it has a Lennox System Operation Monitor (LSOM). It will have two or three led's on it and if there is a problem, it will flash a code. To see this monitor, you have to remove the service panel from the unit. If you want to do that, let me know if there is a code flashing and I can tell you what the code means.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Service panel from which unit indoor or outdoor?

Outdoor. That is the unit that's not running and the one with the LSOM installed in it. The LSOM has three led's: green, red and yellow. If all is normal, the green should be lit and not flashing and that's all.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is that the box with the screws on the cover. Also I can't find the tee to test the drain.

If you don't see a tee with a two wire device in it in the drain line within 6' of your furnace, then you don't have one of those switches installed. Many systems don't have them.

No, the service panel is on the outdoor ac unit. It is the large blank side panel that comes off with about six screws. The unit control panel is behind the side panel across the upper area where the panel was removed. The LSOM sits about in the middle of the control panel area and will be a rather large black plastic device with wires attached to it and wires running through holes in it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Unfortunately u can't get to the u it because it's raining. Is there anything else I can do?

The only other thing you can try is to turn power off to both your indoor and outdoor units from your main breaker panel. They should have separate breakers, one for furnace and one for ac unit. Leave them off for a minute then turn them back on. This would reset any latching fault and the system should restart. If there is a problem with the outdoor unit, the fault may immediately return or you may get lucky and the system will run! If it does run, you may want to have it looked at by your hvac pro ;)