Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I would like to remove a Trianco oil furnace system that I'd

Customer Question

Hi, I would like to remove a Trianco oil furnace system that I'd like to remove for a ranch house built in 1959. The furnace is in the basement. All of the copper pipes are easy to access. There are baseboard heaters around the perimeters of the rooms. The exterior oil tank has already been removed. The furnace has not been used in about 15 years. I started to remove the water from a tank suspended in the basement ceiling but it flows slowly so there must be a valve somewhere to let in air to get all of the water out. Is there a document that shows all of the steps to remove the entire system?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: The house had a central air/heat pump installed about 25 years ago. The thermostat for the Trianco furnace no longer functions.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The National Board Serial number on the back of the system is14988.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also attached to the furnace is a red box labeled Reillo Mectron 5M. On the back of the furnace is a label that says Heat Transfer Products TOC 4 3/88.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The bottom of the same National Board label it has another serial number but it is hard to read. I think it is 82 2850 0324.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello, there are no documents showing demolition of any of this, however I have taken apart many systems in 56 years and can coach you how its done step by step.

Start by using the 'add files' link next to your send button in your reply box to send me several photo's of the tank and its air vent/ drain valve, we can go from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We live in Maryland but this house is in Virginia, 3.5 hours away. It is the home I grew up in and we are renovating it ourselves as we can. I can upload the images I took last weekend. Additional images can be taken when we go back Monday.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is very limited internet access at the home in Virginia. Can you give me an idea of what the air/vent drain valve looks like so I can find it to take a picture?
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Thanks,

click here for a video, the last part shows the B and G drain O Matic valve that is most likely in place aleady

The first part of the video shows my friend making his own drain and air vent valve out of a tee and a hose bib and poking a 3/8" copper tube up the tee to vent air into the tank, Look at the entire video it will start to make sense.

.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Drain O matic air charge valve, used to drain those tanks

.

If you rate that answer positively right now, so that I do not loose my shirt training and coaching you to a solution, I will hold the question open for you on an unlimited time basis!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That video was helpful if it was only the tank needing to be drained and reused. Our tank is smaller and very rusted and we want to totally remove it so I don't see spending money to buy a t-valve. Do the baseboard heaters need to be drained before removing them? I was thinking that they would drain into this tank and that there would be a valve somewhere on the baseboards to release any water still in them. And then once they are drained, we could just punch a hole in the top of the tank to empty it. What do you think? Also, can you suggest a resource for a diagram of the configuration of this type of heating system? Thank you.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Draining the tank is the first step to removal.... after its drained the water line connections can be cut and the tank removed by removing its hanger bolts however they happen to be installed at the time.

Simply drain the tank, then of course do not refill it....with the tank drained removal is just a matter of cutting or disconnecting the pipes and lowering the tank. You may want to rent a 'Hy Jack' at a local tool rental to help you lower the tank.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

This sort of like digging a ditch, just a shovel, the rest is obvious.

Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

There is no telling from here how the installer chose to attach the tank to the ceiling.... you can however take a look, you will see what he did, then just remove the hangers.

Some tool rental stores will have a manually operated high lift, sort of a small fork lift on caster wheels that you can use to lower the tank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is a project we're planning for this fall. I'm doing the research now when I have reliable internet access. If this tank is removed before the baseboard radiators are drained, where is that residual water going to go? I don't understand how the whole system is configured.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is easy to see how to get the tank down once it is empty. The brackets attaching it to the framing in the ceiling of the basement is obvious.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the next step? Do the radiators need to be drained?
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Yes, drain the radiators as well, some will have drains at the radiator, most will be drained from the piping in the basement. A person just does the best he can. and copes with any residual water that might be in the pipes.

Be sure to find the city water feed line to the boiler, make sure that valve is turned OFF.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This house is out in the country. We have well water and the supply is already turned off. We found a valve at the end of one radiator. We opened it and water came bubbling out, not draining down through the pipes into the basement. So we closed the valve back up thinking we needed to know more about how to drain them appropriately instead of them leaking all over the floors.