HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Have a carrier rtu. Runs fine for 5 minutes then shuts down…

Have a carrier rtu...

Have a carrier rtu. Runs fine for 5 minutes then shuts down cooling. Heat pump with no strip heat. Thermostat is calling for cool. Indoor fan is running.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Filters fine, tstat is calling forcool. Has honeyweii 7220 economizer c ontrol

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ye s

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All lps hps sensors jumpered , no chang e. Defrst board loses 24 volts on pin 10.

7/21/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello. the defrost board has gone bad. If you rate that answer positively I will spend an unlimited amount of time coaching to a complete diagnosis and repair (could also be a bad sensor attached to the defrost board)

New defrost board, new Honeywell 7220. New vfd fan control.
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician

hi i am dan i can help you with this. have you tried bypassing the economizer controls?

How do I bypass the Honeywell 7220

you can either go into the settings under test run and you can set it to connect Y in to Y out. it will stay like that for 10 minutes or you can just disconnect the Y in and Y out and twist them together

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician
Y in and out are staying up. On the defrost board P2 pin 5 blue is up. P3 pin 10 drops.
Phone call session started

found the wiring diagram. what you want to look for is a freeze thermostat that will be attached to the indoor coil that is what is tripping the unit off. it may be the switch is faulty or the coil is actually freezing could be the coil is dirty or some other restriction. you said the fire stat tripped, there may also be fire dampers in the duct that have closed and need to be reset. let me know if you have any more questions

Jumpered out freeze sensors, no difference

ok then i would recommend calling carrier factory tech support 1-***-***-****

Carrier factory support is sigler down here in southern California

that is a supplier for parts but you can call the tech support line and talk to them and they can walk you through exactly what to check

They sent me to sigler

ok did you try calling them?

not very helpful

ok have you checked that it is not the compressor overheating when it shuts off?

not overheating

ok does the second circuit work or do the same thing?

How do I pay you for your help.
Monday tech support is going to visit site. I hope it is something really dumb that I have overlooked.

there is nothing else you need to do. good luck with the unit

Thank you.

.

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, HVAC Technician