Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a to replace a compressor thats rated 230 volt. I

Customer Question

i have a to replace a compressor thats rated 230 volt. I only have 208 coming in. DO I need an electrician to run 240?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 2 months
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 7 days ago.

Hello ... many compressors are rated "208/230 volts" check its metal tag for such a rating.

An electrician cannot change the power supplied to the house, that is the utility company...you will not want to pay the price for such a change.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site. Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied..

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair, and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course.. ...rate my simple answer so far positively..and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak..

.

If you can agree to that, rate now, lets continue by all means.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I did check, the tag just says 230
Expert:  Phil replied 7 days ago.

Thanks, you need a 208/230v rated compressor, same refrigerant that is very important, same tonnage rating as well of course.

If you want extensive coaching, just rate my work so far positively so that I do not loose my shirt helping you.

We can go from there