Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a honeywell silver RET97A5 Wi-Fi color tuchscreen

Customer Question

I have a honeywell silver RET97A5 Wi-Fi color tuchscreen programmable thermostat, the screen is black
JA: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?
Customer: therostat
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have 15 volts between the R and C connections
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
solved the problem, inside unit
Expert:  Phil replied 3 months ago.

Hello, you need 24-27vac between R and C... triple check your meter in a wall receptacle to be sure that is correctly set.

If you still get 15vac between R and C, check between those same terminals inside the furnace. IF you do not get 24vac there, check between the two secondary terminals on the 24vac transformer, if you get 15vac there, make sure that primary side of the transformer is wired correctly (if its a new installation) and that the wire nuts are all good, not burned.

Replace the transformer if you still get 15vac.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally..

.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied..

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair, and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course..

.

...rate my simple answer so far positively..and I will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak..

.

If you can agree to that, rate now, lets continue by all means.