HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have an ac unit that doesn't work. The capacitor HERM

Customer Question

I have an ac unit that doesn't work. The capacitor HERM value should be 45 MFD but I measure 38.1 MFD. can this be my issue. Fan moves freely but was not turning on. Unit hums outside when turned on.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Just put new batteries in the thermostat but did not short the wires to start the unit
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, we are roasting here
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No local company will sell me Lennox parts
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

It could be the issue, but that should be a dual capacitor and you would want to check the other side of it. I would just suggest changing the capacitor out, they are super cheap and it is just as simple to try a new one out. If it does not work then I would say it is a bad fan.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.