HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

How does this Q/A work, a couple of months but the problem

Customer Question
hi how does this Q/A...
hi how does this Q/A work
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple of months but the problem is intermittant
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure. depends on the problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HVAC
On the hottest days, the outside compressor stops unexpectedly while the rest of the system still thinks it is cooling.
The fan and system continues to run and eventually the compressor starts up again (usually for 5 minutes or so) then shuts off again
i did a little troubleshooting and shut off the breaker to the compressor. Upon reengage, the fan starts for 1 second and then the compressor stops.
7/13/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the compressor is over heating due a dirty condenser coil most likely (dirt is deep between the fins where you cannot see it) Click here for a video on how to clean the condenser. you can buy the AC coil cleaning kit at most larger hardware stores.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.

.

All I ask is please select the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair, and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course.. ...rate my simple answer so far positively..andI will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

If you can agree to that, rate now, lets continue by all means.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer