Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

How does this Q/A work, a couple of months but the problem

Customer Question

hi how does this Q/A work
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: a couple of months but the problem is intermittant
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: not sure. depends on the problem
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
On the hottest days, the outside compressor stops unexpectedly while the rest of the system still thinks it is cooling.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The fan and system continues to run and eventually the compressor starts up again (usually for 5 minutes or so) then shuts off again
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
i did a little troubleshooting and shut off the breaker to the compressor. Upon reengage, the fan starts for 1 second and then the compressor stops.
Expert:  Phil replied 10 days ago.

Hello, the compressor is over heating due a dirty condenser coil most likely (dirt is deep between the fins where you cannot see it) Click here for a video on how to clean the condenser. you can buy the AC coil cleaning kit at most larger hardware stores.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.

.

All I ask is please select the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you need to be coached through a full diagnosis/repair, and wiring etc. for up to two days, and wish to be trained to use test instruments...... that goes well beyond' Just a simple Answer' of course.. ...rate my simple answer so far positively..andI will deliver that training and coaching to you All on the same dime so to speak.

.

If you can agree to that, rate now, lets continue by all means.