Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a k55hxjly-9198 motor and am replacing it with a

Customer Question

I have a k55hxjly-9198 motor and am replacing it with a S1-FHM3728 motor. Have a problem, old unit has black/orange/blue wire, new unit has Brown/brown with white stripe/yellow/black wires. I figured black to black but not having any luck with the other wires.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Thermostat works it turns on the air handler. What filters? I'm replacing the fan motor on the condenser
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yep
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Wire diagram on the box has a three and a four wire set up. I assume since I'm replacing a three wire that I needed to follow it.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 12 days ago.

Hi I'm Brian and I'll be happy to help you resolve this!

1)The White with Brown stripe will not be used for your installation so insulate the end of it.

2)The new black will go where the old black was just as you thought.

3)The new brown will go to the capacitor terminal that had a single wire on it that was ONLY the old orange OR blue (I suspect blue but you need to confirm that).

4)The remaining new white wire will go where the orange OR blue was where the orange or blue was NOT by itself on a single post on the capacitor. This could be on another terminal of the capacitor that has other wires on it too or it may have gone straight to the contactor.

Let me know if this isn't clear and if you need further help. A picture of your control panel may be needed to clear it up if my instructions above aren't clear. You can upload pictures here using the "Attach Files" button at the bottom of your reply dialog window.

Thanks,

Brian