HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What thermostat will replace a Honeywell TrolAtemp

What thermostat will replace...

What thermostat will replace a Honeywell TrolAtemp Chronotherm iii. It is a T8602c10611

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Pretty sure it is a bad thermostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just want to know which thermostats will work. This is the master in a 3 zone system. Has 4 wires.

7/12/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, tell me please if you want it to be a programmable thermostat or non programmable and if you would like a $50 type or a lot more elaborate thermostat in the $100 to $300 range.

I will select one for you.

Meantime I need to know what color of wire goes to each terminal letter on the existing thermostat.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business. The last 20 of those years consulting for major firms nationally.

.

All I ask is please select the***RATING LINK***at the top of your page, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

I would prefer a programmable thermostat. Probably could get one at home depot or lowes, but want to be sure it is compatible with my zoned system. White wire goes to terminal labeled w/4, green goes to terminal labeled g, red wire goes to terminal labeled r/5, yellow wire goes to terminal labeled y/6 . The numbers refer to terminals in the trollAtemp control board that controls the zone dampers. The green g is, I believe, the fan. Current thermostat is battery only.
I am very hard of hearing and currently am dealing with an ear infection so I cannot talk on the telephone. If I'm sure of the replacement thermostat I will have no trouble installing it.
BTW the other two thermostats on the system are 3 wire only. They do not have the green fan wire.

Thanks.

Ask for a "battery operated programmable thermostat for conventional systems"...The less expensive it is, the easier it will be to program. White Rodgers, Robert Shaw and Honeywell are all acceptable... avoid the Lux brand.

$50 range is a good ... $75 to $100+ are fine but have a lot of features and options that can make them hard to program.

Most of these have two separate terminal strips inside, one for 'heat pumps' and one for 'conventional systems'.

Be careful to use the one for 'conventional systems'.

.

.

please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.

Your positive rating is the only way the company pays me for my work, lacking that I work at a loss. Thanks! I will hold the question open to you for any help you might need later wiring it.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Okay that's the direction I was headed but wanted to be sure.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer