HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My AC isn't coming on. I have a Honeywell RTH6450D

Customer Question
My AC isn't coming...

My AC isn't coming on. I have a Honeywell RTH6450D thermostat, fairly new. I have tried removing and checking batteries, turning off breaker at electrical box and turning power switch to hvac off both for more than 30 seconds. Whenever I turn desired temp lower than room temp "cool on" light blinks for a while and nothing happens.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

I don't know. I have a new furnace as of 2 months ago and the AC is about 11 or 12 years old and was working fine until about 2 days ago

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, I have a call in to my hvac guy but it may take a few days and we're having a heat wave here in Denver.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just wondering if there might be anything simple I can do

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
7/9/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 year ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, if you have changed the air filter in the last few days, the blower access door may not have been refit properly... there is a door switch there that keeps the system off if it doesn't close properly. check that first.

We can go from there.

.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business.

I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.