HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Honeywell 2300 thermostat with cool on message

displaying but not flashing or...
I have a Honeywell 2300 thermostat with cool on message displaying but not flashing or turning off after 5 minutes any idea what is going on.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: AC will not start
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Started last night after changing dirty filter
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Had a dirty filter issue affecting system a month a go caused external pipe freezing have been keeping fan on since
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: I explained that earlier
7/9/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello, the odds are high that you did not refit the furnace door properly and the door switch did not close.... check that and get back to me with any further help you might need.

I am a retired mechanical engineer and HVAC/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business.

I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied.

.

If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
I am having my daughter check that what does that switch control? Fan. Compressor. Thermostat

Great, stay in touch as needed

You did not answer my question as to what the switch controls.
Can you tell me what that switch controls?

The door switch controls power to the printed circuit board. locking out both cooling and heating functions. The odds that the door is not fit properly are in the 50% range, and the odds that some other problem exists are about the same.

There is a condensate drain overflow safety switch that some contractors install that only cuts power to the cooling controls.. it is located in the white plastic condensate drain line, with two wires attached.

If it is not that, then it could be a wide range of other problems too long to list in this note

Depending on your skill levels and what test instruments you have on hand, we keep going until we have discovered the problem and repaired in some cases, again depends on your skills etc.

Thanks where is that line located?
can a dirty filter cause the system to quit cooling? If so what might need to be reset?
Thanks where is that line located?

I need photo's of your furnace/ air handler taken from 10 feet away to locate that 1" wihite plastic line for you. Use the 'add files' link next to your send button for that.

Coil ices solid with a clogged air filter, outside unit will keep running as a rule in that case. no reset. You just have to turn power off to the outside unit for 4 or 5 hours until the ice melts.... I do not suspect ice in this case however

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer