HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Phil: We purchased an RTH6500 WiFi thermostat. When I

Customer Question
Hi Phil: We purchased...

Hi Phil: We purchased an RTH6500 WiFi thermostat. When I removed the old unit, I found there was no C wire.

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

It is probably the was I've hooked up the wires.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. My old unit had G. RC. bridged to the RH. Y. and a W wire. I read in the instructions to Substitute the G wire for the C

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I used the code letters at the top of the screw junction. W in W, G in C Y in Y RH in RC bridged . In the old unit there was a red wire bridging RC to RH

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
7/6/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Short of running a new wire you can move the G wire to the C terminal then you have to go to the furnace and do the same as well as wiring a jumper between G & Y at the furnace. Doing this will eliminate the option to turn the blower on manually from the thermostat.