HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Can a high Static pressure on the return damage any part of…

Can a high Static...

Can a high Static pressure on the return damage any part of a Carrier Enterprise Split System Unit when the outside unit has a two speed fan and the furnace unit inside in only a one speed?

Contractor's Assistant: Did you check the furnace's filters?

Yes they are clean

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

7/6/2017
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer and mechanical/ electrical/ refrigeration and boiler contractor ... with 56 years in this business.

I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

There is typically no way at all to get high static pressure on the return, unless you fit a secondary blower that blows into the return.

If you were to do that, no damage would be done in any event/

Stay in touch as needed. When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
The total static pressure was .85 with 50 on the return and .35 on the supply. Was told the return static should never be higher then the supply static. If the unit operated like this for 5 years, could there be damage done to the components of the HVAC unit.. The furnace is being replaced with a two speed fan unit, but worried about what might have happened previously.
Phone call session started
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer