HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Rheem Model number RCFA – HM3617AC, Suction pressure 68

Customer Question
Rheem Model number RCFA...

Rheem Model number RCFA – HM3617AC

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Suction pressure 68 discharge pressure 92 why is my discharge pressure low. Outside temperature around 85 .

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It's a R 22 2.5 ton unit split

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?

Filter and unit is clean, good airflow ,

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is it the TXV valve

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HVAC
6/21/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 11 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer and electrical contractor with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

You would get those pressures only if you were operating with the left and right hand wheels on your gauge set open.... or if the valves inside the compressor were 90% worn out.

A bad TXV valve will cause the suction pressure to go low, and if the compressor is good the head pressure will be over 180 psig on an 85F day

Stay in touch as needed. When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.

How hard is it to replace the compressor valve, I have a recovery machine or would it be better off just to buy a new compressor.
It's running at 6.1 Amp

Hermetic compressors are very seldom rebuilt. A new compressor is required.

If you were to rebuild it you would start by cutting the welded steel outer shell in half, then hope that you could buy any parts needed from the manufacturer since those parts are not sold through their dealers... rebuilding a hermetic compressor is really not something most people would want to get into.

That is a 3 ton unit you have, amps should in the 16 to 20 range, 6.1 amps indicates its just spinning without a load, (bad valves or bad rotor).

You can buy a new replacement compressor for a few hundred dollars.

When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it. The company only pays me if you rate positively, lacking that I work at my own expense at a loss.

Thanks for your consideration.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer