HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

We have a Ruud, gas, forced air furnace. The date on the…

We have a Ruud...

We have a Ruud, gas, forced air furnace. The date on the wiring diagram is 11/15/82. There is a number next to it I can not really read. I believe it is "DWG" 90-21283-02. It is used at a lake home so has few used hours. It will start fine. However, once the set temp is reached it shuts off and will need to be relit. Any help would be appreciated. It has not been cleaned in years. Also, I'm fairly sure I did not find the model number. Where would that be located? Whew! Sorry to start your day with all this.

Contractor's Assistant: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?

Thermostat's yes. Filters not likely. We recently inherited the lake home between 5 family members. I don't think the previous owner would have for some time. Could you indicate where they would be located?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Changing filters probably. I'm of the opinion we should have it cleaned and tuned up professionally.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't imagine other than to reiterate we use hit seldom. Only open from May to October. Certainly not used at lest 3 of those months. We also used electric base board heat to supplement the heating.

6/21/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Th most common cause of what you describe is a dirty/weak pilot. I'd suggest you have it service whch would include cleaning the main burners and the pilot burner (including the pilot orifice).

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Rick. We will be there this weekend and will try to set up an appt with the utility company to set up at time then. If I should require more info how would contact you? Would there be an additional fee?

You can come back to this thread with follow up questions. I'll answer related follow ups even after you rate me favorably at no additional charge assuming the follow up is posted within a couple weeks.

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor