Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have an emerson 1f97 controller for our furnance / air

Customer Question

we have an emerson 1f97 controller for our furnance / air conditioner. the batteries went bad..I replaced them. The unit appears to operate...except that it display 10F rather than the true temperature ... How can i get the temperature to work
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I validated that all config setting are at factory defaults. What does the filter have to do with teh thermastat?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: how do I get the thermostat to capture the right temp
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Try a reset. Remove the thermostat from the back/wall plate then remove the batteries for 2 minutes then reinstall them.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I removed the thermostat from the wall and removed the batteries. I waited 5 min and put in fresh batteries. The temperature is still 10F. So that made no impact.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

If the thermostat doesn't respond to a reset the only other option is to replace it. It can be adjusted up to 4 degrees but that would still be way off.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well that is disappointing.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there's nothing else we can do to fix your thermostat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did some additional research on my own and I fixed the situation. I went into the installer configuration in the Emerson external thermostat and changed the temperature control from Elec to Gas. This directed the temperature access to the furnace, rather the wall thermostat. So with the correct temperature, the air conditioner works perfectly. I solved my own problem...thought that you should know.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Glad you worked it out but your explanation makes no sense to me.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are the Emerson instructions that i used to address my problemINSTALLER/CONFIGURATION MENU
To enter the menu: Press the Menu touch key. Press and hold for 5 seconds the Installer Config touch key. This displays
screen reference #1 in the table below. Screen Reference numbers appear in top right corner of display. Press to advance
to the next menu item or to return to a previous menu item. Press or to change a menu item option. Shaded items are
not available if selected for Non-Programmable. Write the options selected in the "Option Selected" column of the menu.
Installer Note: To default the programming, clock and Configuration Menu to the Factory Default Settings, press the ,
and SYSTEM keys simultaneously. The thermostat display will go blank for a few seconds, and then all segments will display
momentarily. For heat pump systems, Configuration Menu items 1 and 3 must be set to match the heat pump system.
CONFIGURATION MENU
2   (GAS) ELE GAS setting: furnace controls blower.
ELE setting: thermostat controls blower.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

I know the config sequence. What I'm saying is that this should have no effect on the room temp display. It doesn't direct the temp "access (?)" to the furnace. It was fluke that this solved your problem. But I glad you were able to resolve the issue. There was no way I could have known that a config change would restore the room temp function.