HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
Experience:  15yrs in the HVAC industry with certificates and degrees.
21107370

I have a Goodman 5 ton unit that the compressor is about to

Customer Question

I have a Goodman 5 ton unit that the compressor is about to go out on it uses R22. My question is should I replace just the outside unit and continue using the heating unit inside or replace them both? What unit or units should I replace them with? About what will it cost I live in Waco Texas.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: OK
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: No a HVAC repair person had to put a hard start kit on it to make compressor come on. So I am looking into replacing unit he wants to replace with heat pump which I cannot afford. So I am looking into other options.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Did you get information about my current unit
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Hello, one minute while I get some information together.

Expert:  HVAC Guru replied 1 month ago.

Replace the set both indoor coil and outside unit. For the money I think any of the Goodman units are good and easy to get parts for and repair. The cost to replace the set will run about 2500-3000 for the outside and indoor coil. If you replace the furnace as well it will likely run 4000. If the furnace is working good I would leave it, just tell the guys to set up the plenum so the furnace can easily be changed when the time comes.

All I ask is please select the ***5 STAR RATING*** using the link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.