Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a 1,300 sq ft lower living level that is built into

Customer Question

I have a 1,300 sq ft lower living level that is built into the side of the hill but has a walk out basement. I need a new quality de-humidifier that has the ability to defrost its coils when it gets a little too cold downstairs and take the humidity down. No matter what brand I buy it seems after the first year they quit functioning very well. - My sister suggests I purchase a new one every 2 years. I spend up to $300 (previously) but am tired of replacing them every 2 years. Can you help?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just started today.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I need help with a free-standing dehumidifier.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

click here please, the smallest one of these commercial dehumidifiers should work well for you. However it will be necessary for you to call their 800 number and ask for their technical department and tell them that you will be dehumidifying in cooler weather and need a unit that will operate at those lower temperature ranges.

These commercial units are high capacity and expensive... the smallest one that will be workable in cooler temperatures will be under $800 in most cases. Buy that one.

Stay in touch as needed. When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.