Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My MasterCool Evap cooler is starting its' third summer. It

Customer Question

My MasterCool Evap cooler is starting its' third summer. It has been properly cleaned and readied for the summer. However it is now beginning to smell fishy. I used the deodorizing cakes the first year. The second year, I placed a "zinc star" in the cooler and it helped for the rest of the summer. It was reportedly suppposed to last for a couple of years and has not? Is there a solution to this problem???
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Actually every summer since it was installed three years ago.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No. My son who is the HVAC expert. That is his business and he has no idea what to do about this stink.
JA: Are you an HVAC professional?
Customer: I am the accounting manager for my son's commercial HVAC business.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not sure what else you might need to know. You actually now have the whole story.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 months ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

Evaporative coolers are best drained and cleaned at the end of every cooling season.

lacking that, the recommendation for deodorants would be like having a deodorant for men that said you never need to take a bath. That would be ludicrous of course.

No telling what some sales people will say to sell a product.

Stay in touch as needed. When you have all that you need please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it.