HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Ruud error code 57 also 20 also 26, not sure and it had been

Customer Question
Ruud error code 57 also...
Ruud error code 57 also 20 also 26
JA: How old is the appliance? Have you gotten error messages before?
Customer: not sure and it had been working but this is a unit in an apt building and the condesant drains are common. the condesant from upstairs was flowing in my unit and out onto the floor
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: system not installed correctly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am sure water has caused the issues but not sure where to look to resolve. I have cleared the water problem source
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
6/15/2017
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 5 months ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

.

Multiple error codes are a pretty good sign that the printed circuit board is bad... they are designed to spot the single defect and issue a code for that.

What did you do exactly to fix the condensate drain.

we can go from there

disconnected from common line and currently have it draining to a bucket until the common drain is fixed. The a/c pan is now empty as verified by plug removal
you are already asking for more money before you have given me anything beyond pessimistic speculation about a bad board
?

If you are the tennant, it will not be a good idea for you to work on this yourself, you could be held liable.

I am not asking for money, thats a computer program asking if you want a phone call, phone calls are extra, with me I stay with you until we get the problem solved

what next?

We are in a diagnosis process... it goes step by step, unless you would like me to send you a fairly thick one size fits all manual for that system.

What is the model number of the Ruud unit mounted inside the condo unit....or you can take a close up photo of the wiring diagram glued inside its blower access panel and I can mark it up with trouble shooting instructions.....photo must be *exceedingly well focused.

use the add files link next to your send button to get it to me

do you have a question?
I am very familiar the process involved in diagnosing systems
you need to start checking off things and the only way you can do that is to ask me questions

My success rate on over 8,000 answered questions is 98.5% I can almost always help a person sort the problems out... but it is tricky business, it is difficult enough on site with instruments and eyes and ears to observe, on line its a fine line I have to run to get to a diagnosis.

I need the model number and/or a photo of the units wiring diagram, I mark those up with trouble shooting instructions.. you will need a multi meter

where are those to be sent?

I posted that earlier, if you are working from a smart phone you might have missed it

Here are the instructions again

Yes, I got the photo's...

First lets do a heat stress test on the printed circuit board, that will show up the 90% most most common failure modes, microscopic cracks in the integrated circuit chip, and cold solder joints .

Use a hair drier to warm the printed circuit up to 130F...slowly and gently... as it is displaying its error codes... if anything changes, codes change or go away or get worse etc, the printed circuit board is bad.

Tell me if condensate dripped onto the circuit board at any point or if you see signs of that such as corrosion on the board.

Next replug all of the connections to the circuit board, and all of the molex gang connectors a few times, that burnishes any oxide off of the pin connectiions... then repeat the heat stress test with the power turned back on to the furnace.

ok

The odds are well over 90% that the circuit board is bad.

This is the only sign of moisture and corrosion on the board or connections. this plug is to the switch (air) on the heat exhaust fan. the Switch is good ....I checked its operation with continuity checker while blowing and sucking on the tube it monitors.

Good work, clean up those pin connections real well, then do the heat stress test on the board and see if there is any change at all in the codes or anything else

in addition to the earlier "57" code I am also getting a "58" and a "33" no longer getting a "20" or a "26"
The legend on the door says "33" is MRLC open
there is no "58" listed on the door

Good work you have proven a bad printed circuit board to the 99.9% level

please select the 'finish and rate your expert' link near the top of your page to close the question, I will appreciate it. You can stay in touch for any follow up you need after you have rated my work so far.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer