Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Richmond gas power vented water heater that keeps

Customer Question

I have a Richmond gas power vented water heater that keeps tripping. .
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: When I check the code, both A & B code lights up and which indicates that the maximum amount of ignition attempts has been reached and the system is in lockout. It goes through 3-4 cycles of igniting the flame and after about 5 seconds of the burner going, it then goes out and the cycle begins again. This heater tripped one other time about 2-3 weeks ago and then it was good until yesterday. I've reset it several times last night but I keep on getting the same code error.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't recall if I have an extended warrantee on this unit. I purchased the heater from Menards in Hudson around 6 years ago and I installed it myself. I've not had any issues with it until now. If it's an easy fix, I'd probably do it myself???
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Like what?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you describe sounds like a flame sensor problem. If you're OK working in the combustion chamber then you can try cleaning off the metal flame sensor rod (see attached pic for similar, yours won't have 90 degree bend). Remove the oxidation on the rod with fine sand paper and take care to not move it out of place. It's placement in relation to the burner is critical. Also vacuum out any rust flakes in the chamber since a rust flake can ground out the rod.