HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My thermostat is blank today. AC was not blowing cold air

Customer Question
just blowing air and the...
My thermostat is blank today. AC was not blowing cold air just blowing air and the outside unit was just buzzing as if it could not kick on.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: the hermostat settings were correct. Now the thermostat is blank. Filters are fine
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if it's an easy fix.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about it. It's a trane xr12 unit outside
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 5 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer - My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. Is the indoor unit easily accessible?

it is.

Okay good - is it in a closet, basement, attic? And is the unit in a vertical position or laying on its side?

Is the start capacitor hard to replace? And how do I know which part to get? It's a trane XR 12. Model number 2TTR2030A1000AA
It's in the basement And is vertical

Start capacitors are easy to replace, but wouldn't cause the thermostat to go blank. Let's start by taking a look around the indoor unit for signs of water. There may be a small pan that has a float switch that may have water in it, or the floatswitch may be on the drain line. Let me know if you find anything. Do you have a multi-meter and feel comfortable using it?

I have the thermostat working again but the outside AC unit will not turn on. I just have air blowing in the house without AC. I figured out the thermostat went blank when I opened the door on furnace unit to check filter. Sorry I didn't tell you that.

That's okay! I'm glad that issue is solved. In that case, the start kit may be the issue, but there are several other possible causes. Does the outdoor unit stop buzzing when the thermostat is turned off?

Okay, have you opened the panel on the outdoor unit to see the electrical components? I'm hoping you just have something stuck in the contactor causing it to not be able to make a good contact. Can you take a pic of the electrical section and post it here? Do you happen to have a multimeter handy?

I will open the panel now and take a picture. No I don't have a multimeter handy.

Okay, no worries - Do me a favor and shut the high voltage power off to the outdoor unit. There should be a breaker or disconnect on the wall by the outdoor unit to do this. See if the buzzing stops when you torn the high voltage off.

i shut that off and no buzzing.
Occasionally the unit "clicks" even with the power shut off.
I actually just have the 30A fuses pulled to shut off high voltage. That works correct?

Okay, I now think the buzzing is coming from the fan motor. That silver cylinder with the wires coming off the top is a dual run capacitor. The top of it (where the wires connect) should be flat - yours is slightly rounded indicating a bad capacitor. That one is a 45+5 x 440. You can find them all over the internet, or you can go to a local HVAC shop tomorrow to purchase one. Just make sure the power is off and that you put the wires back on the new one just like they come off the old one (terminals will be marked C, H, and F). Also, stay away from China made caps - the oil they use in them is not good. Stick with ones made in the USA.

Perfect. Thank you very much.

No problem! If you are satisfied can you do me a favor and rate my services? Thank you for using JA!

If this doesn't start up
The unit tomorrow can I contact you again through this thread?
I will be happy to rate your services! It's been great service.

If for some reason this thread closes then you can start another and request me - I'll make sure you won't be charged for the additional question.

Thank you!!

No problem! Let me know if you need anything.

Regan Land
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician