HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We just installed a new Honeywell visionpro th8000 and when

Customer Question
Hi...we just installed a new...
Hi...we just installed a new Honeywell visionpro th8000 and when the system kicks on cool the air is actually heat coming out
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes...the thermostat was not working so we purchased a new one
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes...well it's most likely a programming error in the new themostat...we are in Florida so we were hoping to fix it tonight before going to sleep...temp is 85 inside ):
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I seen where it could be a valve error in programming
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
5/17/2017
HVAC Technician: Regan Land, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician

Hello - My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you. What brand heat pump do you have?

A trane...but seems to be working now i put it on auto instead of heat or cool and the air-conditioning clicked right on thank goodness

That's strange... At least you got some air conditioning! However, there may still be an issue. If you're okay, let's leave it for tonight - then you can try auto again tomorrow and let me know if heat runs when cool is supposed to again. If so, we'll get your problem fixed.

Perfect ! Thank you

You're welcome :)

Good morning, I'm just checking in to see if that thermostat is still working for you - even in auto mode. If so, I can close this question for you. If not, I'll be happy to help you find a solution. Thank you!

The smart plug was clogged and he sucked it out and it started working...it was grest until tonight and my husband says the coils are completely frozen up. Did i program the thermostat wrong?
It could be hooked up wrong - does the outdoor unit turn off when you turn the thermostat up so that it's not calling for cool?
Let me check...
Okay - I'll be on for a bit longer
Make sure to leave thermostat set to cool but turn the temp up above room temp so that it's not calling for cool - then make sure outdoor unit is off.
Sorry I did not get back to you last night my daughter had an appointment for a heart test at the hospital yesterday and we were on our way home and my husband called and said the AC was frozen so he totally defrosted the system and it is pulling now I think the text that came to the house did not actually open up their return in season it was frozen when he came so when he sucked the drain pipe out it did start cooling but never fully felt as cold as it should unfortunately I left late that afternoon and did not return until last night from the appointment with my daughter. I am in touch also with the tech that did the original repair so hopefully he will come double-check today and make sure everything is okay I appreciate your response and will let you know today if there's any other issue with it

Okay, no worries! Only a couple of things will cause a system to freeze up - lack of indoor airflow (clogged filter and/or coil, bad motor, blower panel left off, etc) or low refrigerant charge. If the outside unit is running and the inside isn't (due to wiring issue, short in a wire, stuck contactor, etc) the system will freeze very quickly.

When a coil freezes it will often drip water everywhere, so it is possible that the tech saw water and thought it was due to a clogged drainline. This is why I always instruct my techs to check refrigerant charge on every service call, even if it's just a clogged drain line or something else easy. Hopefully the original tech will come back and finish the job without charging any additional labor - I'd recommend turning the system off a few hours before he arrives so that it's not frozen when he gets there. Just make sure the outside unit shuts off when you turn the thermostat off.

Hello - I'm just checking to see if you still need assistance. If not, can you please rate my services. The only way your deposit gets transferred to me is if you rate and accept my answer. Thank you in advance!

Regan Land
Regan Land
Regan Land, HVAC Technician