Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I own a three family house in Greenwich Ct. Oil is used for

Customer Question

Hi. I own a three family house in Greenwich Ct. Oil is used for heating with a hot water coil and additional storage tank. I would like to transition to heat cost to the tenants, and am looking for alternatives. Current boiler is probably 30 yrs old. Serviced annually. Each apt has gas line.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: With recent renovation I split off the third floor circuit so it has a separate pump. Next reno will be second floor and if I am going to make changes, that will be the time. my question has nothing to do with thermostats and filters. Installed slant fin in the third floor apt. First two floors still have HW radiators, which I would like to replace.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have a local plumber I have used for many years. Handyman will also be involved.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Just looking for options. Third floor apt is 850sf. SEcond and first floors are 1400 sf each. House was wrapped with insulation two years ago and most windows have been replaced, so it's relatively air tight for an old house (1920s). Domestic hot water will also have to be provided.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Most cost effective option would be to install 3 gas fired cast iron boilers with separate tank type water heaters, 1 for each apartment. Cast iron is reliable and relatively easy to maintian and repair.