Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have 4 Tekagi TM 1 units is sequence. They have been

Customer Question

I have 4 Tekagi TM 1 units is sequence. They have been giving me a lot of problems and want to replace them. What should I replace them with?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the unit's filters?
Customer: Yes, everything has been checked multiple times
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: There 10 years old
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that many people in Lafayette put them in or repair them
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

Selecting the locally best qualified and most reputable dealer is the most important part. Such a dealer will carry the brand that he has the least trouble with. Takagi is not a bad brand. Noritz, Rinnai is very good there are several others.

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest larger town or city I can look up a well rated outfit or two for you.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

It is a faulty installation, bad piping design or bad venting that is at the root of most problems with these water heaters.... not so much the brand, even though there are problem brands out there such as Quietside, and a few others.... and German brands, ultra complex with very thin dealer networks in the US so that repairs and parts can be very difficult.

When you have what you need from me, just rate my work to close the question.