Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Smelling oil burning fumes in house coming thrugh

Customer Question

Smelling oil burning fumes in house coming thrugh ventitation system
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: this is my neighbor he had his furnace worked about 2 months ago. he has been dealing with this every since. The repair men do not know what the problem is. It has a pipe within a pipe, one 4" flue, outside 6"
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Need to talk to someone in person. He did have a qualified repair men work on the furnace. They don"t know what the problem is.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I am his neighbor a retired gen contractor just trying to help. The flue is short maybe 4 or 5 feet straight up through the roof in a factory built home with a low pitch roof. House maybe 20 years old.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't know what happened to my previous password ***** getting my temporary password ***** loss you.
Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

Hello, fumes inside the home is a serious issue, there will be some carbon monoxide involved.

I will submit a phone call offer, that you may accept or not accept, but that will be fastest.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

If the fumes are not entering through a defective vent pipe or open window outside, they would be leaking through a hole in the furnace heat exchanger.... a competent technician will have a carbon monoxide detector that he can use to see if that is the case or not.... about one in 20 service people own one.

Expert:  Phil replied 5 months ago.

The other 19 technicians will tell you that they cannot find the leak