Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

What would cause the pressure release valve on my rheem ruud

Customer Question

hello,what would cause the pressure release valve on my rheem ruud propane power vent model pv40-36-sp heater to blow, and is it possible to fix?
JA: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I shut off the gas and water and drained the tank (at 12:30 last night).
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If its not too complicated.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've shut off the water to the kitchen and bathroom and was afraid that the valve would keep open if I refilled the tank.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

This is usually caused by excessive pressure which is the result of thermal expansion of the water in the tank as it heats up. Excessive cold water pressure can contribute to the problem. The first things to do are to check the cold water pressure (should be 75 psi or less) and replace the relief valve. If the problem returns you'll need to install a thermal expansion tank.