Charles Bodenheimer
Charles Bodenheimer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at BoMech Solutions
98320956

I have a goodman blower that is humming. I took off the

Customer Question

I have a goodman blower that is humming. I took off the capacitor and tested it and it was bad. I got a replacement part at grainger and just noticed that even though the specs are all the same it is a slightly smaller cylinder than the old one. What is the best way to secure this? The old capacitor was attached by a vertical holster type thing behind the circuits and tightened down with two screws.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Charles Bodenheimer replied 4 months ago.
What I do is crimp the holder with pliers. In other words pinch it to make it smaller. If you don't understand I'll try to get you a pic. Thanks for choosing justanswer.com
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is not that kind of holder. There is a hole behind the circuit board that the capacitor slides into and is held up by the ledge at the top of the capacitor. Two screws then tighten, essentially sandwiching the ledge of the capacitor against the ledge of the hole. It is one big piece all connected to the circuit board.
Ok. What you do in this case is get the zip ties that have the place where you can use a self tapping screw to secure it somewhere in the control box. I always use electrical tape and tape around the top of the cap so it can't short out. If it doesn't have the rubber boot covering the connections. I have done this to eliminate any possibility of shorting and finding a place to put the cap when the control box is small. Lmk thanks