Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

How to trouble shoot blower motor? Was working fine but will

Customer Question

How to trouble shoot blower motor? Was working fine but will not start now. you can hear a "hum" when you bump the t-tstat. Where do I start trouble shooting? Thanks in advance!!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I noticed yesterday that the blower was not starting up so I just shut down the system. About a week ago a tech came out and add freon to the system. Everything was cooling perfectly for a few days, up until now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. I'm more than capable and I believe it might be something that's easily repaired. With that being said I know when to say nope that's above my head because Heat pumps/AC units are like vehicle transmissions - there are no cheap mistatkes!! lol
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Yes all of the simple/common things. The cap to the blower went out when the system was around 5 yrs old and I replaced it. The current symptoms are vary similiar. System is approximatley 11 yrs old now. I have a spare cap and tried it but still the same. Coil comes on, outside unit/fan comes on - just no blower.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I think thats it.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 4 months ago.

Hello,I am a retired mechanical engineer with 56 years in this business. I will go in depth with you, and up to a 6 hour time limit.

All I ask is please select the ***RATING LINK*** at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site.

Rating does not affect your charges nor ability to refund if not satisfied. If you can agree to that, lets continue by all means.

I need the brand and model number of your furnace to determine if its a variable speed motor, or a 3 speed motor. If its a 3 speed motor with a cigarette sized metal capacitor mounted on the blower housing, replace the capacitor... take it to Grainger industrial supply or Johnstone Supply for a match up, if that fails the motor is bad.

IF the motor is a variable speed type things get a lot more complex, tell me a lot about your technical skills so that I can coach you most effectively. Variable speed motors have no capacitor and they have 8 to 14 wires attached to them instead of just 4 wires.

We can go from here when I get back from lunch or you can opt me out if you do not want to wait.