HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an American Standard furnace and air conditioner and

Customer Question
thanks. I have an...
thanks. I have an American Standard furnace and air conditioner and it stopped working today. It looks like the 5V fuse was blown, so I replaced it and it blew out again instantly. What do you think the problem is?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I have no power to the thermostat at all.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would like to if I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My wife just turned the air conditioner on this morning and then checked the Honeywell Prestige thermostat later and it was black with no power to it, so I told her to shut the furnace switch off and now we can't get anything to work.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HVAC
5/10/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 6 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here. Can you unplug thermostat from sub base. The front should come off. The install fuse to see if it blows . Russ

Should have ask . Were you using cool or heat this morning. Russ

Wife turned on the AC this morning. Just took the thermostat off and put in a new fuse and it still blew out.

I know its dark but do you want to check thermostat wires at outside unit to see if they are rubbing against cabinet. Russ

Just checked the wires and they appear to be fine.
HVAC Technician: Charles Bodenheimer, HVAC Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Charles Bodenheimer
Charles Bodenheimer, HVAC Mechanic
You've got a short in the wiring some where. This can be very difficult to find if you don't have an ohm meter and know how to check the wires. Is the fuse located at the outdoor unit? Thanks
It's an American Standard Gold Series air conditioner and the fuse is in the inside unit. I don't believe that there's a short in the wiring either.
Ok. A relay or contactor can have the coil go bad and short. Seen a lot of the compressor contactors short out. You can power off the the system air handler included. Then remove the panel of the outdoor unit. Remove the 24v wires going to the compressor contactor coil. Ohm the coil to ground. If you get anything other than a OL reading which means open leg infinite resistance the coil is bad. Thanks
Charles Bodenheimer
Charles Bodenheimer
Charles Bodenheimer, HVAC Mechanic