Charles Bodenheimer
Charles Bodenheimer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  Owner at BoMech Solutions
98320956

I have a Mendota fireplace and love it. Used it all winter.

Customer Question

I have a Mendota fireplace and love it. Used it all winter. I changed the remote's batteries today with the same type as it had in. The remote works but the thermomiter icon is missing and I can't get it back. It is the little graphic at the top left of remote.
JA: Just to clarify, what type of fireplace is this?
Customer: Mendota
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Only if it means fixing the problem on the remote itself. I will have to have a service man come out to get to the controls inside the fireplace. I don't have access or knowlege about them.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just how do I get the smart icon to come on. It is on in every demo I see on utube. Mine is missing.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Charles Bodenheimer replied 5 months ago.
If you have a battery improperly installed or a bad battery the remote will work but you'll be missing that icon. Check this first and Lmk what you find. If all is good battery wise you have it in the wrong setting. Thanks for choosing just answer .com
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Charles, thank you for the thoughtful reply. I suspect you are right ... I installed new batteries in the remote... The same exact type that were originally put in last year when it was installed...but there are also batteries in the fireplace some where I don't want to go until I know what, if anything, I can do. I have used the fireplace all winter and enjoyed it throughly. It worked great!Summer is right around the corner and I think I'll just wait until September to have a Mendota service man give my FP it's yearly
checkup and ask him to show me how to handle the remote issue and what I can safely do to the unit that the remote talks to. I don't even know where it is.Thanks for your help.
Oh yes. Anytime. And again thanks for choosing us. We have experts for nearly any issue. Thanks. Have a good day