Appliance Tech Care
Appliance Tech Care, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35+ Yrs Experience - 40,000+ 'Real World' Repairs
20893398

My 4 yr old Maytag dryer will only run for 5 mins, then it

Customer Question

My 4 yr old Maytag dryer will only run for 5 mins, then it shuts off. Won't restart for another 5 mins. Then it runs for 5 mins and shuts off. And so on...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It will be 5yrs October 17th. Going to check model & serial
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Model: MEDC200XW1 Serial: M24247623
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really. If it is something simple like a fuse my husband could do it...
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Appliance Tech Care replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JA!

My name is ***** ***** I have been repairing appliances for over 40 yrs and I will be assisting you tonight in trying to find out why your appliance is not working. Sometimes, there will be lapses in my replies back to your because of the volume of questions I am answering. But, please be assured that I will be giving you my best effort to help solve your problem.
Give me a few minutes to check out the info you have provided, so I can give you an accurate answer.
Thanks

When you say it runs for 5min and shuts off and then run for 5mins again. Are you doing anything to the dryer or is it starting up without any intervention on your part?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to press the start button to get it to go on again. It doesn't restart of it's own accord. I am a single person living alone so it's not like it is over taxed...

Ok, that makes me feel a little better that it is not just starting up by itself.

Looking at the wiring diagram, the only thing that would cause the

problem you describe is the timer. click for picture

I have had this come up on dryers of your type many times. Sometimes you can

just wiggle the timer knob up and down it will stop.

If you replace the timer the issue will go away.

The part number for the timer is W10185988 and you can purchase it here if you want to repair it yourself. click here for part

It is a very easy job to do. Just two screws hold it onto the control panel and the wire plugs just pull off.

______________________________________________________________________

I hope you feel that I given you my best effort on helping you out today.

But if you still have questions, just ask , otherwise, may I please ask that you take the time to rate my help as positive for JA today by selecting 3-5 stars to rate my help to you before you leave today.

I thought I would add, that many people think the payment they placed is sent to me after I answer their question. But,it is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then JA credits me for my time working with you.

Just Answers runs on the on "Honor System" for technician ratings and I depend on you for a positive rating. No Rating means I work for free .

By rating my help today, you will be "Locked In" at no additional charge, should you need to come back for any follow-up questions.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out.

Bonuses are always appreciated, but never required, unless you feel I have given you exceptional service.

Have a great day!

Don