MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician
Experience:  18+ Years experience in residential and commercial HVAC service and repair
65306941

My Whirlpool dryer is blowing cold air. The piping has been

Customer Question

My Whirlpool dryer is blowing cold air. The piping has been checked and is not obstructed. Is the next step to have a repairman come out and possibly replace heater? How much are we looking at?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Likely over 10 years. I'm not sire of model #, is it easy to find on the device
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it's easy enough, my son can do it. He was going to tube how to replace a heater. But, if it's too difficult, I'd get a technician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so. I rent out rooms to 5 people all who do their laundry here and we all neeed to do laundry!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  MattR757 replied 5 months ago.

The issue is likely a bad electric heating element (or maybe a bad temperature limit switch) - The repair itself isn't all that technical but it can be somewhat complicated because you have to pretty significantly disassemble the dryer to get to the heating elements - It's hard to estimate a cost - A replacement heating element can run anywhere between $30 and $75 depending on the model, and it's probably a 2 hour job once the technician has the proper parts. Labor rates vary so much in different locations.

You can search by model number on a number of appliance parts websites - one of my favorites is Sears Parts Direct. Sears also has Sears Home Services, who should be very qualified to repair the Whirlpool dryer.

Expert:  MattR757 replied 5 months ago.

Also, most appliance repair contractors will tell you that a 10+ year old appliance should be replaced. A clothes dryer has very few moving parts - A belt drive motor that turns the drum, the heating element kit, and the controls, most of which were very uncomplicated on older appliances. As long as the element is the only real issue I'd insist on the repairs.