HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I installed a brand new a/c system in a modular home in the…

Customer Question
I installed a brand...

I installed a brand new a/c system in a modular home in the keys. A 4 ton rheem with flexible duct through out the home. But my problem is the coils keep freezing after an hour or 2 of running. There return opening on the closet door is a 20x20 not sure if it's enough of a return but I have tried it with the closest door wide open and the coils still freeze

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

Yes the pressures are perfect

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes I'm am a tech

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 day by:
4/3/2017
HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago
Ricky Main

I would make sure the fan is on high speed. Is this a package unit and are you using any of the factory duct in the home or is it all new flex?

HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago

Also what is model number of unit you are using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't have the model with me. It's all new flex roughly 33 ft of 6" and 20 ft of 4". With 2 outlets 6"and 4 outlets 4". Split system with the fan on high. Also I should add it's running on 407c
HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago

You have 1200 cfm's that must go thru the inside unit. Each 6" is only good for 60cfm and the 4" is good for 25cfm. That means you are only moving 220 CFM's. You need to either increase the size or add more taps.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's only room to add a couple more taps. But what if I reduce the fan speed would that help
HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago

No, that would move less air and make it freeze up faster. If you increased them all to 8" it would move 150CFM per tap. So 8-8" taps would give 1200 CFM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But the flex duct that is there is 6" and already covered by Sheetrock
HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago

Need to find a way to get rid of some air or put a smaller unit in. Need 400 CFM per ton so 2 ton would only need 800 CFM.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think if I'm able to adapt the duct work by opening up the Sheetrock were the outlets are take put in 8" T's with the 6" flex duct and put (3) 8" outlets like that and try to add a few 4" would that help
HVAC Technician: Ricky Main,
 replied 1 year ago

No because the 6" going to the T is only capable of carrying 60 CFM