HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

White Rodgers Thermostat 1f78-1151 is hooked up but not working.

I have a white Rodgers...

I have a white Rodgers Thermostat 1f78-1151, I've hooked it up and it isn't working. I don't know if I wired it wrong. When I just connect the wires together the baseboards come on.

2/19/2017
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

How do you have it wired?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The wires coming out of the wall box are both black so there's that. So I took the jumper off and wired one to RC and the other to RH

Ok, one wire to RH the other to W. Doesn't matter if the jumper RC to RH is in place or not

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I even reset the thermostat and tried it that way but still nothing.

Those are the terminals for heat. Do you have batteries in the thermostat? You have hot water baseboard not electric?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got electric and the batteries are in it

If you have electric baseboard you have the wrong thermostat. This is a 24 volt thermostat not a line voltage thermostat. You need a line voltage thermostat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well that is a bummer. Okay, thank you for your time.

You're welcome

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor