HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have an old White/Rodgers thermostat that I'm upgrading to…

Customer Question
I have an old...

I have an old White/Rodgers thermostat that I'm upgrading to a wifi Honeywell. All wires are labeled, but there is one labeled W that has no corresponding slot in the new thermostat. Is this W equal C?

Contractor's Assistant: Just to clarify, do you think this is a larger HVAC problem, or something specific to the thermostat?

Themostat

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, only hsvr iddur eith on eire

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think I've told you all I know

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/22/2017
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 1 year ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

All thermostats hae a W terminal. Some have W1 & W2. You'd connect to W1 if those are the terminal designations on the new thermostat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no W terminal on the new thermostat, the instructions mentioned a C that is needed, Is the W in the old Rogers, the C in the Honeywell?

I'm sorry but you must be missing it. EVERY thermostat has a W terminal. The heat won't work without it. No it's not C. C is 24 volt common and you need it to power the thermostat

If you give me the model number of the new thermostat maybe I can help you find it

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honeywell Smart Thermostat, it's WiFi. There's no product number on the box

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 1 year ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

do you have a w/o/b terminal?

Thank you...that is where the W wire goes.

What else do you need hooked up?...did you have an extra wire for the C connection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, there was no terminal labeled C in the Rogers, all other 4 wires had corresponding terminals in the Honeywell

ok so there is no extra wire in the cable not being used?

If not we have 2 choices....

lose the "fan on" function or run new wire.

I can help either way..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All wires connected, nothing loose, tried to set unit but did not come on

it will not work until we connect a wire to C at both ends. Do you mind a small wiring change?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I don't mind as long as it works

ok a step at a time...

first...at furnace....can you remove the blower door to get to the thermostat wires ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's way beyond my comfort level, there are four terminals in the Rodgers, none labeled C, they were G, Y, RH and W, could one of these be the C needed for the Honeywell?

If you only have 4 wires you cannot use the Honeywell wifi thermostat.

The only wifi thermostat I know of that uses 4 wires is the SENSI.

Shown HERE

If you get ANY thermostat that has a new C wire requirement it would involve changing wires inside the furnace.

So you are stuck with the Sensi unless you call an hvac company to install one.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the Honeywell is useless unless I rewire the furnace, that's a bummer. Thanks for the assistance.

unfortunately you are correct.

Any 5 wire thermostat will require a small wiring change in the furnace.....except for the wifi sensi 4 wire.

I hope all goes well for you. Just rate service (5 star system) to move off the active list.

I hope the bad news does not imply bad service.

Billy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very satisfied with service, technicians know their stuff. Happy with experience.

NOTE TO CUSTOMER: Please select a star in the 5 star rating system that best describes your experience.

In the event you cannot locate the rating system please let us know.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech