HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Rheem rgdc -07eg-gs and the heat won't come on

Customer Question
anymore. Motor replaced few...
I have a Rheem rgdc -07eg-gs and the heat won't come on anymore. Motor replaced few years back. I started having troubles a couple months ago and it would not restart when it got up to temp. Then recently it got worse and now the unit won't come on. Just makes a humming sound from the solenoid in the upper left area. It just clicks on then I hit the switch to shut it off then retry and it does the same thing. The blower motor will turn on but that's it. The thermostat has been replaced couple days ago. No change. The induction motor doesn't come on. The pilot does not try to start. Thought I might try replacing the flame sensor first. What's your thoughts?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Setting are fine. Filters have been let get too dirty many times. It's a (3) 1" filter housing. I was curious if things having to restart so many times because of that created a part failure somewhere
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yeah. I'm a general contractor with a fair understanding of how to use an ohmmeter and have the tools to do it. But I may call a service tech if need be.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well, as far as I can see the burners look ok. It could use a general cleaning but it would be nice to get it running for the meantime. It's 30 degrees and the house is cold. I tried to find flame sensors online but my model which I provided for you doesn't show a crossover anywhere for that part. A dealer would have that info. Do you?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
Just wanted to clarify, the filter housing has enough space for 3 1" filters...or I can use a 2" and a 1". In addition, when I wrote the blower motor comes on what I mean is that it does not come on when it's set to auto setting at the therm, only comes on when I switch it to "on" thus only circulating cool air.
essentially, induction motor doesn't kick on, blower doesn't kick on, and pilot doesn't. All this while the desired setting for the heat is higher than the ambient temp. Therm registers "heat on". But again, it tries. At least the solonoid clicks then just hums until I turn it off.
One more item of clarification, when the therm reached its desired temp the heat would kick off. As the house cooled below that desired temp it would not restart to heat it back up. It just does the click from the solonoid and hum and that's where it stays until it's either shut off at the therm or the switch mounted near the furnace.
Sorry about the confusion.
1/11/2017
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician

Russ here feel the small draft motor when you try to start furnace. I may be bad. See if it is hot. Russ

Won't turn on. Dead cold
what's my next step?
I know the response time can be up to a day but I'm really trying to figure this out. I think at this point I'll move on to other options with this issue
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Unplug wires to inducer motor.Put meter on ac colts.Call for heat at thermostat.Tell me of we get 120v to the wires you unplugged that go to inducer motor.

Well, I'm cautiously optimistic. First I cleaned the unit with long reach light filament gun brushes, vacuumed, blew it out and cleaned the flame sensor with 00 steel wool. Same no action as before. I found myself continuing to eyeball the coil/relay knowing it would click before starting the sequence. But recently began humming. It was the type with a coil..the unit was made in'83. So I did some research and found a replacement part for that unit. Obviously newer electronics but learned about it and it's functions. Bought a "sequencer" for 40$ at the local appliance store. I was able to replace the old style with a new one. and so far it cycles Now as it should. First time it's done that in a while. Cautiously optimistic. It appears to functioning properly. Anyway, thanks for the response

Very good.the old relay was most likely the culprit not sending power to the motor.Let me know if you have any more problems.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician