HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I believe that one of my zone circulator pumps(grundfos) is

Customer Question
bad. The zone is circulating...
I believe that one of my zone circulator pumps(grundfos) is bad. The zone is circulating, even when the thermostat is off, and the power is off to that pump. Is it possible that when another circulator on the boiler is activated, that water is circulating through the zone of the bad pump? All of my zones are obviously hooked up in parallel with the boiler. Thanks.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/11/2017
HVAC Technician: WCohn, Construction Worker replied 10 months ago
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Do you have zone valves.

Does each zone have a pump and solenoid valve?

Three tacos and a grundfos. The grundfos is the problem.

Can I see a picture of the manifolds from a distant and also the pump controller?

Just got them please wait a sec while I review

I removed the widget from the controller to that zone to see if it solved the problem. That's why the cover is off.
I don't know the correct term for the widget.

The pump is NOT the issue, the controller is not recognizing the thermostats signal. Or the thermostat is bad

If the electricity is off to the pump, how is the water traveling through the pump? I guess the thing I don't understand is does the solenoid in the pump turn it on and off, or just open and close the flow?
I have two other thermostats on the other zones that are working. I'll switch one of them and see if it works. If not, I'll switch one of the widgets from one zone to the next to see if that works. Can't do the phone call tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Wait.

OK. Thanks.

Can you feel the pump running? or just water flowing through it?

Im pretty sure just water running through it. The sound is transmitted from the other pumps, so its hard to tell, but I believe the sound is just the water, because it didn't sound any different after I cut the power to the circulator in question.

Water running through a pump is totally normal. unless you have a zone valve closed

Why would the water be running through the circulator when the thermostat isn't calling for heat?
I thought the thermostat calls for heat, and the controller turns the pump on??

I can explain this better over the phone. If that doesn't work for you please wait while I type up my explanation

Meaning the pump doesn't activate until the thermostat calls for heat??
Sorry.

It's okay =)

I'll wait.

These are your secondary loop zone pumps that are controlled by the stats ( still more)

This is your PRIMARY pump, it is controlled by a temp controller and should always be maintaining heat when in heat mode, If it's pumping and a zone valve is open then it with push water through another secondary pump until the zone valve is closed

The thermostats control the secondary pumps, but water can still flow through them if zone valves are open

Does that make sense or do you have questions?

Thanks. Didn't know that. What closes the zone valves? Is it something electronic?

Modern systems are. They turn on seconds before the pump. I didn't see electronically controlled valves in your pictures though

That might sound stupid...aren't the taco pumps electronically controlled?

Yes, but they don't prevent water from flowing through them when off.

if water is always flowing through them, what determines the temperature of the water? I mean how can the water flowing through one be cold, and the one next to it be hot?
Gotta call it a night. Thanks for your help. Will continue tomorrow if I can.

Sure, but I'm a plumber by day so my availability is usually evenings.

Water runs the path of least resistance so I bet water is NOT going through the whole loop

WCohn
WCohn
WCohn, Construction Worker