HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I'm replacing a Honeywell ST9160 with SV9520 Smart Valve

Customer Question
with a Honeywell ST9120B,U. In...
I'm replacing a Honeywell ST9160 with SV9520 Smart Valve with a Honeywell ST9120B,U. In my original book it showed neutral 2 going somewhere and then nothing comes back to the control board on the hum spot my book also shows a line on neutral 3 but i have nothing.
Im quite lost
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/10/2017
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 10 months ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

I know you probably already have it...but here is how the 9160 transfers to your 9120b

click here

As far as HUM..that is an accessory for a humidifier.

The neutrals are all the same and do not matter which is used by what as long as they are neutrals.

If you tell me specifically what wires you have a problem with I can help

Billy

Your link doesn't open, is it just the schematic in the book?Okay the HEAT wire makes sense into HEAT
The COOL into COOLI was confused about M1 & M2 But i think those go into UnUsedIf you say all that go into neutral doesn't matter then that makes it a little easierthe COM snd 24VAC i am a little unsure of but if I follow the schematics lines and keep the wires in line into the transformer snd back out then those go into C & XL1 im not sure about i don't think
the white w/ blue collar i was not sure about but if you say all neutrals go into either neutral thats okay and same with the white with no silver collar

see page 3 here

Give me a moment and I will do a crossover for you

try this one more time...if it doesnt work I will write it out

click here

for L1 as long as i keep them straight vs which got into the transformer I'm okay right?
i need that jumper in too correct?

correct

the confusing ones are:

24vac =X

COM= C

m1=unused

m2=unused

and yes on the jumper plug

how do I tell 24VAC apart from COM
does It matter which one of the L1 goes up to the transformer and which is the black wire w/ blue collar

the transformer has 4 wires..black and white on the 120v side.

black is located next to L1 as that is where it gets 120v to supply transformer. White goes to any neutral

The wires on the 24v side depend on if it is original transformer for color...what are the colors of the 24v wires from trans?

and what is furnace model number so I can check color code

armstrong air ultra 5 okay turned it on i hear a beep and the control board flashes 4 then solid for a second
i get a steady hearteat on the gas valve

when this all started...was it because the blower did not run?

the furnace was doing all sorts of issues not firing not running long enough we had a tech out and of course when we did it worked fine since until yesterday he told us last time to replace the control board which is where i am now

page 23 here will show your colors

looks like blue is 24vac and yellow is com

is the main blower running ?

both my com and 24vac are yellow no nothing ran when I turned it on - the whine and 4 flash makes me think an error?

I do not see a wire on IND? Should be a black wire from exhaust motor

follow the wires from the exhaust motor.....tell me where they currently are

ok the exhaust fan down by gas valve.....has a black and white wire going into it...I cannot trace it in the pic...where does that black and white go?

on the wiring diagram it doesn't show anything supposed to be on IND?

thank you,

Now all wires appear right....also coming from the gas valve will be a couple wires that go to temperature safety switches.

By chance did your tech tell you that on this particular furnace the gas smart valve is most often the issue?

This is known as a honeywell smartvalve that failed in great numbers and was dropped

we had an issue previously with the valve snd it was replaced the valve has a solid heartbeat on the LED although I'm told that doesn't mean much does the whine / 4 flashes concern you? should i turn on the furnace and cycle the thermostat?

before we start...try swapping the yellow wires from the transformer...

okay i'll do that and see if the result is different
okay swapped them and the same thing the board whines snd it flashes 4 times and on the 5th i solid for a second

it is reading a open limit, but if the limit is open a blower should be running.

Try the thermostat for a cycle...

cycled down thermostat clicked off heat turn it up clicked to heat and nothing - no sound no movement

the 2 black wires at L1....which goes to the door switch?

the left one goes to the door switch - i tried switching them it didn't change anything

ok last checks...

on new board under the plug..what are those terminals labeled..They have 2 yellow wires right now.

Then above by other plug are 2 wires...blue and yellow...what are they labeled

the blue and yellow unused?

and the 2 yellows C and X?

thats correct the blue and yellow are unused which came from M1 & M2 on the old board and the bottom 2 are the C & X which come from the transformer

I am afraid thats all I can do from this venue...everything looks correct at this point.

I am going to open this to the others for a look for more opinions..

Billy

Just to update
Switched door switch and other wire back around turned furnace back on got steady heart beat on control board. But sadly no heat with cycle of thermostat. Furnace sat silent
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech