Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Gibson furnace in my home that is about 6 years

Customer Question

I have a Gibson furnace in my home that is about 6 years old. I had a problem last year that required a furnace repair guy twice....having the same problem this year 4 times so far this last week. There is a small opening that gets some residue built up on it that needs cleaning out. A small grey tube has to be disconnected to clear out the residue. Is this a common problem, and is there a permanent solution?
JA: Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: New filters are installed regularly. You have to take the cover off to access the problem area in the lower left. I don't know what else to tell you; the furnace was installed by Charlevoix Heating and Air Conditioning, but they are no longer in business.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I don't know what "work" needs to be done! I am not very mechanical and my husband is deceased. My son-in-law could help when he comes (usually once a week or so). I can also call my furnace "guy" to come and make the repairs. Would prefer to do this without major cost!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: You may be aware of the problem as I have described. If you need a photo of the exact problem, I could take that and send it to you. I appreciate any help you can give me. It is cold up here in Northern Michigan, and not fun to be without heat!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

I'm sorry but your description doesn'tgive me enough info to diagnose the problem. If you can post a picture of the tube you're referring to that might help. You can post a picture here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button. Or you could try to schedule your furnace guy for a time when your son-in-law might be there so he can see what needs to be done. Either way this doesn't sound like an expensive fix even if you have to calll in a pro.