Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have 40gal standard 40-gal water tank connected to a

Customer Question

Hi - I have 40gal standard 40-gal water tank connected to a system 2000 oil furnace. How much does tank cost? It might be starting to leak. Where can I source one including labor? homedepot?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to. Did you check the furnace's filters?
Customer: $5 deposit for what?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no. I got a quote and it is for $1,500 including labor. Sounded high. Homedepot sells water hearters (although mine is not a water heater, but a water tank) for $780 installed..I am looking for a more cost effective way to get it replaced.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I do not think so
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your

issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

Is the hot water coil in the tank or in the boiler?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is energykinetics system 2000 boiler (http://energykinetics.com/system2000-quietest-most-efficient-boiler/) and tank sits next to it where it stores the heated water
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is the $24 additional to what I paid ($30)?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
is there a big box retailer such as homedepot or sears that will sell the needed tank including labor for installation?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I'm not allowed to discuss payment issue with customers. If you have a payment question the you need to contact customer service. But generally speaking if you're referring to a charge for a phone call then yes there is an additional charge of the call. We can also continue here. The link you gave doesn't tell me what your system config is. I need to know where the heat exchanger/coil is for the DHW before I can answer your question. Generally the big box stores don't stock holding tanks or indirect fired water heaters (coil in the tank). If this is just a simple holding tank then you can use an electric water heater and not hook up the electric elements. It's actually cheaper than a specifically designed holding tank.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

If you can't answer my question then a few pictures of your system would help. You can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not at the house. I have to get back to you on that. The problem is I live in another state now (I have my previous house for sale, the water tank is in that house), so I am not sure when I will be able to get back to you with pictures
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Yourbest bet, since you're not living there is to get several bids from local plumbers. I suspect your system has a flat plate heat exchanger in which case the tank would be a simple storage tank. So, like I mentioned before, you can use an electric water heater for this purpose we just don't wire the heating elements. We use the water heater thermostat to control the pump or pump relay. This is a bit unorthodox but is the least expensive option and works the same as a storage tank. Since it's not typical it may be too outside the box for a big box store to comprehend but you could include them in your list of bidders.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Rick - Can we resume our conversation after I get access to photos to clarify all items?Thank you.Taner
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

This thread won't go away. Come back when you hav the pics. I'm usually online ~9 am to 7 pm EST daily. I do take breaks. I'll respond as soon as I can