HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We have a model H4-1-17 WE HAVE A CREOSOTE BUILD UP IN

we have a model H4-1-17...
we have a model H4-1-17 WE HAVE A CREOSOTE BUILD UP IN BOTTOM PIPE THAT THE SMOKE GOES UP IS THER ANY WAY CLEAN It OUT
JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?
Customer: IT STOPED UP ALL THE WAY A FEW DAYS AGO I USE SHOP VACUMETO CLEAN IT OUT
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The blower hole plug up that helped make the problem we go from 15 degree gays to 60 does not help
Answered in 4 days by:
1/12/2017
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
If there is any way to replace the pipe that is the best and esiest.
If you cant replace the section it can be cleaned with alcohol
( with every thing turned off )
Place ordinary rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle .
Spray affected areas .
Wipe clean with a soft cloth where possible.
Can use a rod from a gun cleaning kit in tight areas.
Or a home made one .
Check that your unit is getting
adequate air( ventilation) or damper properly set if applicable.
NOTE; some of this information is generic and may not apply to your model or situation.
Note:
Alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves no film or residue.
However , make sure There is no accumulation before firing unit back up.
Make sure nothing is partially blocking your chimney or system.
A "choked " unit can cause creosote build up.
Your filters in the air handling system would not affect this but rather air into the fire / area and out the chimney.
NOTE:
There are numerous products advertised as creosote remover that work by burning the creosote. This often works but it can also generate a lot of heat and cause a possible chimney fire.
The hand cleaning with alcohol works well on lighter creosote build up and a couple of times a season should keep it clean.Note : Make sure there is no heat or coals when using this method. Unit must be cold ( as in no embers or possibility of sparks ) when this is done .
Note: cresote that is dry to the touch and hard may not dissolve
with the alcohol.
This can be cleaned with lacquer
thinner but wear a respirator , rubber gloves , and goggles.
When the cresote is gone remove traces of the laquer thinner with alcohol and wipe clean
NOTE : There must be no chance of flame or spark while using these methods.
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Machinc
Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor