HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Ruud/Rheem RGRC-06EMAES furnace made in 2011 Oct.

Customer Question
When it tried to start...
I have a Ruud/Rheem RGRC-06EMAES furnace made in 2011 Oct. When it tried to start up, the ignition sparks could be heard but no flame appeared indicating that the gas valve was not opening. Studying the diagrams, there are many sensors that have to be happy before the gas will come on. It was straightforward to isolate the problem to the “Drain system pressure switch” which would not close. To determine if the problem was with the switch or the “pressure” source, I used tubing from a stethoscope to apply mouth pressure to the switch with an ohmmeter connected. The switch closes when a very slight vacuum is detected, probably “-0.40 PF” as read from the label on the switch.As a unit of pressure, PF is an archaic unit used in agricultural science to measure "soil suction" or soil moisture tension.
See: https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/dictP.html.So this vacuum switch appears to be OK. I blew into the red tube apparently coming from the low point in the heat exchanger to drain off combustion condensate. I sensed very slight resistance to blowing into this tube. Nevertheless, I must have dislodged something inside the heat exchanger, because the vacuum switch and consequently the furnace have been working for days after doing this.I’m surmising that some kind of crud must be inside the heat exchanger. There are many dead insects (gnats?) on the horizontal surface that separates the upper and lower sections of the furnace. Are these also in the heat exchanger where they might have been seeking water?My prediction is that the furnace is going to shut down again in the same way it recently did. But I have no idea how often this might occur. I want to pursue this, but so far I see no reasonable way to gain access to the interior of the heat exchanger. I thought I might be able to remove the induced draft blower. But some pictures of the heat exchanger show a much smaller hole facing the input to the blower than would be useful. What is the best way to inspect the floor of the heat exchanger, especially near where the condensate drain attaches to it?If I need to clean some crud out, how can I get access to do so?If I have to remove the induced draft blower, where can I buy the black rubber caulk that was used to seal the connection to the exhaust of the blower?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Please read my text before responding!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I sent considerable detail in my original question but I can be reached at***@******.*** if you need to ask more.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HVAC
1/7/2017
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 10 months ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

So you get a blinking light on control board when it fails to light.If so count blinks between pausing and let me know

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I am unable to take phone call right now. This will be presented to my colleagues so you may get a call from one of them if available.

I'm ready to talk. Thank you. :-)
It is now Jan 10. I have had no further response to my question. :-( I asked to get a phone call from a tech.

I can be reached on my cell: *************

HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago
Mark Trimble

do you still need a answer to your question

please!
For the next 3 hours, I can be reached at(###) ###-####or***@******.***. Afterwards, I will be at [email protected] . . and the same phone.
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago

condensation was the most likely cause of the problem removing the inducer blower is not going to get the access you are looking for

Shouldn't I expect condensation within the heat exchanger? Isn't that what the drain tubing is there to remove?
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago

no condensation in heat exchanger it comes from the vent pipe

OK, so condensation comes from the vent pipe and needs to be drained by the tubing connected to the bottom of the heat exchanger?
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago

yes there should be a drian line connected to the primary condensation line

there is. And it seems that the “Drain system pressure switch” was not closing because the flow of condensate was backing up.
We might get this done faster on the phone. :-)
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago
The drain not flowing could cause moister to collect so make sure the drain is clear that should solve your problem. If you want to talk on the phone you need to make the phone request
The drain tubing is clear, so I think the problem is just inside the heat exchanger which the drain tube comes from. That's why I'm hoping to find a way to get a look in there.
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago
The heat exchanger are stainless you can attemp to remove the inducer motor it's not going to give you much of a view
are you saying there is no way to clean whatever insect crud is in there other than to replace the furnace?
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago
No not at all you can remove the inducer motor by removing the screws that attach it to the furnace and the clamps that attach it to the pipe your not going to see much so with that said your I believe the problem has been resolved with the drain line issue
you're saying it's possible to remove the inducer motor. And even though I won't see much, it's my only hope to see what's going on and maybe to clean it?
OK. This weekend I want to remove the inducer motor and see what I find. May I continue (and hopefully finish) this thread at that time?
HVAC Technician: Mark Trimble,
 replied 10 months ago
No I have resolved your issue if you want to continue to move forward with your assumption feel free
Mark Trimble
Mark Trimble
Mark Trimble