Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have an older amana gas furnace, which isn't working, I

Customer Question

i have an older amana gas furnace, which isn't working, I have the three flashing red lights,
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat? And what about the pilot light?
Customer: I have checked the pressure switches with an ohm meter and they check out...the inducer motor runs and there are no obstructions
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have spent about 500 on repairs so far and after a few days to a week I'm back to where I started about a month ago...so at this point yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is there a way to check the circuit board/
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. First I’ll need some more info so I have a more complete picture of you situation.

This is a draft pressure switch error. The question is do you have a bad switch or a weak fan or a blocked exhaust vent. You can check the vent for blockages and also the vac tubing connected to the switch. Be sure the tubing is not kinked, deteriorated or doesn't have water in it. You can also poke a paper clip into the port where the tubing connects but not into the switch connection. If all that checks out. Turn the power off to the unit wait a couple minutes then turn it back on. After the fan starts remove one of the leads from the pressure switch and connect it to the other lead. If the sequence continues then you may have a faulty pressure switch or possibly a weak fan. The next thing we would do is put a manometer on the exhaust to check the actual draft pressure but you aren't likely to have a manometer and they are expensive. Replacing the switch is one other option since it's less money than a manometer (or a new draft fan) and it is a likely culprit.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had a tech out and all that has been checked and verified that its good, I have checked the switches with an ohm meter and they are good
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

Did you jump out the draft switch after the inducer starts up?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sometimes it works and sometimes it don't, its a very intermittent issue
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.

I'm going to open this up to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.