airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Trane model #DCY024F1L0BA package unit that will

I have a Trane model #DCY024F1L0BA package unit that will not blow air
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: yep
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if at all possible...I had a service man out yesterday who said the blower and run capacitor are bad. But he never tested any of it so I don't trust him. This morning I went back to the house and turned the system on and it worked for about 10 minutes and then it wouldn't blow. The thermostat is set to emergency heat and the fan is in the on position.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no that pretty much sums it up

We would need a meter to troubleshoot. If you have a meter let me know .If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you would like to troubleshoot and I would be happy to guide you.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Innova-3300-Equus-3300-Hands-free-Digital-Multimeter/14644665

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have a meter...But won't be able troubleshoot until tomorrow

THat is fine,Just come back t site when ready

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thank you

No problem.Talk tomorrow

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK I'm available to troubleshoot when you are

Just got in.Are you available now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well it's dark here now ... Would you have anytime tomorrow?

I should be around.I operate a local hvac company so never know when I will get called out but hopefully will be here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I appreciate your efforts....Will try tomorrow....It's a remodel and I have temp heat.. thanks

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I'm available all day when you have some time to help. Thanks

I am back at office

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just a side note.....I tuned the system on yesterday and it worked for 6 minutes and the blower stopped working.

If blower ran for 6 minutes, it sounds like blower overheated.

You may have a bad motor but I would start by replacing the capacitor and see if that solves problem first.

If your meter reads uF (microfarads), Turn power off to unit remove wires from capacitor and see if it reads lower than rating marked on it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I don't think I can read microfrads on my multimeter...How likely is it that the capacitor and blower are bad?

Capacitor is more likely to be the cause but I have seen a bad cap cause the motor windings to go bad.I would run down to an appliance parts store and get a new cap before spending the money on the motor.Just make sure to get same uF rating as old one.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I will try that but will probably be Monday before I can locate one here

JUst let me know.

If you have further questions, please let me know.

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings before you go. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.

To rate answer, please select one of the stars on the page.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will finish up and rate on Monday...Thanks so much

Sounds good.Talk to you then

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
also on this unit I think I know which capacitor goes to blower but is there a way to tell for sure

The blower should have a single cap for blower,probably 7.5 uF,

Condensor fan should be on a dual for compressor and fan

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good morning....I put the new capacitor in this morning and fired up the unit...It blew for 5-6 minutes and shut off? Thanks for your help

Sounds like going to be the motor.It was worth a try.Is that something you want to do yourself?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This remodel is for my girlfriend...Have to keep costs down. Is there a way to test the motor?

On call for heat when fan should start or on cool or fan on check power to motor.I am pretty sure you have power since it comes on at first.I will try to get you a diagram to show you where to check.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thank you

My manual says "SEE wiring diagram on unit control box cover.

Can you attach a pic for me?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure

THanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you need any more pics

About to have to leave for a funeral. Can you get a pic showing me where the fan wires hookup?

Or a plicture of the wiring diagram on the unit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sure......Just getback with me later

TRy to upload a pic of that wiring diagram and if possible the fan wires connecting to board or relay .I will check in as soon as I get back to office

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay from the fan there is black purple brown yellow wires,the brown and yellow go to the capacitor, purple and black go to a connector which become red and black, red goes to control board plugs in where it says blower and black goes to the back side of where the power comes in,I can't really tell but it looks like it's tied into the black power feed...Also I fired the unit up again and watched the led troubleshoot light while fan was running...Once the fan shut off the light blinked 4 times...Sending pics thanks

You will want to check between black and purple for 240vac when fan should be on.

Thee error is a limit because if fan not coming on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay I do have 240vac when blower is running there at black and purple and also after it stops running. I assume I. Red a new motor

Yes I suspected you would .Replace fan.