Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have a heat pump with electric heat backup. the

Customer Question

we have a heat pump with electric heat backup. the blowermotor burned out and was replaced and now the electric backup heat will not produce any heat.how do i check to see if the elements are burned out??
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: filteres were replaced before the problems . thernmostats were allset in a heat position (4 of them) and temp was set high enough for emergency-electric heat to come on. temp outside was below zero to plus 2 degrees farenheit.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i had atechnician look at it and done testing with his meter says elements are burned out . says we may not be able to buy replacements.I saw the heating elements glow when the tech that replaced the motor showed me they were working. do not want to buy a new furnace if there is a possibility the tech was not testing the heating elements properly.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 9 months ago.

Hi, how are you? The elements shouldn't actually be glowing if airflow is correct across them. If they are bad, then they would not have a circuit in them. For example, you can find the start of one element where it wires to the furnace at the ceramic connector and place one lead of an ohm meter there. Then the other lead on the opposing side, not the one beneath it, and see what it ohms out at. If you have more than one element, then they will be typically stacked on top of each other, but you can check each string the same way. Make sure high voltage is disconnected. Also, there are limit switches. If you recently had a blower changed, I would think maybe you have a defective limit or fusible link. If you follow the high voltage from each side of each individual element one of the sides is going to go through the limit. There will be one limit per string. So, if your tech ohmed them with his meter before the limit he may have actually found the limit open and not the heater itself. Also, you can unwire the high voltage wires and pull them out of the furnace and physically inspect the electric heaters for breakage in the wire itself. If you need any further assistance please feel free to follow up. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
will visit with the tech before getting back to you.Need to see if he used the ohmmeter
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the tech is supposed to be call ing me back re availability of heating elements,will get back to you after talking to him.
thanks,Lee

Alright thanks. Let me know if you need more information.