Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I purchased a new lennox furnace and air conditioning system

Customer Question

I purchased a new lennox furnace and air conditioning system installed summer of 2016. The unit is very slow to start up heating after being down for our travel or even overnite. We returned from a trip in December and our house temp was 60 degrees. We set it for 72 deg. it took 5 hours to get the house warm. We couldn' detect the fan running for several hours, although I could hear some kind of action in the furnace. We set the thermostat for 70 at nite and turn it up to 73 when we get up. It takes an hour to detect any action. Can you give me any advice. I have been waiting over two weeks for my contractor to get over here to check it out. By the way even though we bought a high efficiency system, we are using mor gas and electric than with old carrier system. the model of our furnace is EL296uh090xv60c-06. I will appreciate your help.
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Glen Duke
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I operate thermostat manually. The filter was purchased new at time of installation.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The unit's fan seems to start at a very low speed. We do have high ceilings and I wonder if with very low fan speed if warm air just slowly accumulates up near ceilings.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 months ago.

Hello, so far it sounds like the controls have the fan running way to slowly, so that the furnace is operating in its low stage only... that could be a thermostat wiring problem, or wrong thermostat, or fan speed control dip switches not set correctly.

An accomplished Lennox factory trained tech with 20 years or more experience could most likely diagnose and correct the problem in less than an hour. Its a bit technical for you to attempt yourself.

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I will see if I can find a highly qualified Lennox dealer for you.