Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I was just looking for some info regarding our carrier

Customer Question

I was just looking for some info regarding our carrier furnace, it only blows cold air and when I took the cover off there is a flashing orange light
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: I changed the thermostat batteries and raised the temp at least 7 degrees higher than the inside temp, I hear it click on but no warm air, I did remove the filter out the smaller panel next to the unit and it was dirty
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There was a short period where warm air did come out the vent but an hour later it stopped
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What you're describing sounds like an open limit circuit. This happens when the furnace overheats (there are several possible reasons).

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

One of these reasons is a dirty filter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If I purchase a new filter, and it still doesn't work will you continue to help?
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Yes, this thread won't go away and I'll answer related follow up questions even after you rate me favorably.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thanks, I'll have to go purchase a filter then I will follow up.
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Before you change the filter watch the flashing light and note the number of long and short flashes before the pattern repeats.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I believe I only saw what seemed like 4 short flashes and 1 longer flash before the light went off then it repeats the pattern
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Check it again. There is no 41 code. A 13 code 1 short 3 long would line up with an open limit.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We changed the filter and the furnace came on for about 15 mins then went off, then we changed the flame sensor because it was old and it worked a few minutes and the burners would go out again
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

What happens when it shuts down? does the blower keep running? what is the flash sequence whne it shuts down?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The blower is still on but only blowing out cool air, honestly I really don't get the flashing sequence because it's hard to determine what is short and long my video is to long to add files so that you can see it, it starts with the light off then about 5secs later the 1st light flash, a sec after that the 2nd light flash, 5 secs later a 3rd flash, 2secs the 4th flash then a sec later a 5th flash. I think I caught the sequence from the beginning since I started after the light was off, do you have an email i can send the video of the flashes
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

I don't get email here. You can upload the video to a file sharing servie then post the share link here.