Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Three days....I have a very old oil furnace.....American

Customer Question

Hello Douglas,
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: three days....I have a very old oil furnace.....American Standard model ACD-602 and Combustion control is made by General Controls. This is what I think I know so far....original problem was I asked for heat by turning on Honeywell digital thermostat; it ran 2 secs and display went blank. Without thinking it thru, I thought it was the thermostat; bought another but no luck. I now have display and I can manual turn on the blower but no auto combustion. Control transformer seems ok 120/40 volt. I have power at the combustion control unit. Yes I have oil; could not locate a fuse or fuse link. This is really getting over on me. At this point I'm guessing. Any advice?
JA: Did you double-check the thermostat's settings? And what about the filters?
Customer: Thermostat settings is set for manual selection. By filter do you mean oil filter incoming to combustion chamber?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have so far. I will be damn sure oil is coming past the filter: yes?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: If the pump will not pick up then I don't know if oil is going to combustion chamber; right?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 7 months ago.

hello,

is your reset control a stack switch mounted in the vent pipe?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not know; I have a thermostat control in the pipe in case of overheating; no reset on it

Ok I need to know what your unit has as a reset control. Can you post pics here?