Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Hot Water Heater. I am an apartment house owner. We

Customer Question

Hot Water Heater. I am an apartment house owner.
We typically use 199,000 Btu, 90-100 Gallon tank water heater. They cost around $4800 from Supplier.
When I look at Amazon, the price varies all over the place. What is suitable for me? I am looking for water heater which has long life.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  D.E. Anderson replied 6 months ago.

Hi, how are you? State and Rheem/Ruud make very good water heaters if you are looking at tanked models. If you are interested in tankless, I would suggest looking at Rennai. If you don't mind spending the extra money and want something more efficient, you can get them with digital controls in a 90+% efficiency. If you are trying to be economical, then just purchase a basic water heater with standard mechanical controls, as they will be the cheapest, and honestly, probably more reliable. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How about Tankless Model, they seem to be less expensive. Are they reliable? How many 199,000 units one would buy to replace one 199,000, 100 Gallon boiler?

Is this a boiler used for just hot water or for heating the building as well? I am unable to do a live call right now. I apologize

Tankless hot water heaters are sized a little differently. Without doing more research, I am not certain how many tankless it would required.

So, I guess what I would like to know before I give further advice, is if this water heater is for just hot water or is it physically a boiler such as you would heat the building with as well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, my feeling is we need 3 to be sure that there will be no degradation. As technology improve, tankless looks like to be economical.

To accurately answer how many you need, you need to know how many gallons of water need to be delivered at any given time and what the water temp is coming in during the winter. Its a pretty large system. I see them used in restaurants often instead of tanked and they tend to use 3-4 inplace of a 100gallon tanked.

Is there anything else I can help you with?